I received an email that may be old, but it was new to me. Norma White is a lady from Texas who wrote a guest column proposing the following changes:
- Limit Congress from serving more than two terms. That is all that presidents are allowed.
- Stop Congress from voting on their own raises. How did that ever get started?
- Stop paying lawmakers’ high-priced insurance premiums. After all, they are only part-time employees. They might pass some law changes on the insurance companies, if they had to find one.
- Stop paying lawmakers their full salary after serving just one term, or at retirement. We need to get rid of that pension plan; they’ve let other companies get rid of theirs. You were lucky to get 40-50 percent of your salary after working somewhere for 35 years, but they get 100 percent.
- Make Congress pay into the Social Security system. They make laws for it. If they spent some of their own money, they might be interested in making it solvent.
- Stop handing out aid to illegal aliens. If we did, then Medicaid and the food stamp program would have enough money to aid the aged and poor.
- Secure our borders.
- Stop allowing babies born to illegal aliens in the United States automatic U.S. citizenship.
- Stop the abuse of our benevolent welfare system. We feed children free meals three times a day until they are 17. Churches give away good, clean clothes. Companies buy and donate school supplies. Emergency rooms provide health care at taxpayer expense and the food stamp program is buying food at home. What are the parents doing for their children?
- Have a computer program that cross checks Social Security numbers with fingerprints to stop fraud on many fronts. Use it on voter registration, too.
- Stop bailing out mortgage companies and banks that give loans to people who cannot afford them.
- Stop companies from paying CEOs and other executives outrageous salaries and bonuses while doing away with workers’ pensions.
- Stop all unnecessary spending so we will have the money for our nation’s security, and to help needy and elderly Americans.
- Stop permitting anyone to have a photo with their face covered on driver’s licenses.
I wonder when this was printed; if it was a while ago it would seem almost prophetic. At any rate, I’m sure many will agree with some and dislike other proposed changes.